Thank you for your interest in the U.S. Service Academies. As your Representative in the U.S. House of Representatives, I have the privilege each year of nominating a limited number of people to four of the five service academies. The honor of attending a service academy comes with an obligation and commitment to serve in the military for a minimum of five years upon graduation. I wish you the best as you pursue your goal of service to our country.
The Application Packet:
The academy nomination application above should be downloaded and filled out completely. A completed application packet will also include:
- A recent, small photograph (3x5 or 4x6)
- A sealed official copy of your most recent high school transcript
- Unofficial copies of all your SAT/ACT scores (photocopies acceptable)
- A resume that includes extracurricular activities and any work experience
- Two letters of recommendation supporting your nomination
- An essay of 500 words or less entitled, "What it would mean to attend the Academy(name of academy) and serve in the armed forces."
The deadline for applications will be announced at a later date. The completed application packet should be mailed to:
Congresswoman Sara Jacobs
Attn: Korral Taylor
9665 Chesapeake Drive, Suite 455, San Diego, CA 92123
Competitive Nomination Considerations:
- The FIRST consideration is academics. Each individual's grade point average (GPA), class rank, SAT and or ACT scores will be considered. Every candidate must have a SAT and or ACT score available for the interview;
- The SECOND consideration is leadership experience and potential command ability. This is based upon the individual's extra-curricular activities as submitted in a statement with the application packet. This would include involvement in sports, school, civic, work and personnel/social activities;
- The THIRD consideration is established upon the motivation and desire of the candidate to attend a service academy and serve in the armed forces. To arrive at this consideration, each candidate is asked to complete and submit an essay of 500 words entitled "What it would mean to attend the Academy(name of academy) and serve in the armed forces." Evaluations will be based on upon writing skill and content;
- The FOURTH and final consideration is comparative in nature, appraising each applicant's attributes against all other who are applying.